Search Frequently Asked Questions

Based on typical issues presented by the Internal Revenue Service, we have provided answers to a number of tax law questions. These include general questions regarding tax deductions, credits, filing requirements, and other issues related to your income taxes. You may use the search feature shown above or any of the categories listed below.

Typical Questions Asked

(Click the question to toggle between showing and hiding the collapsible answer content)
There are a number of options for notification.

Tell us in person or by telephone. We'll need you to verify your identity and the address we have on file for you. Please have ready your:
• full name
• new address
• old address
• date of birth
• Social Security number, ITIN or EIN

In Writing:
Send a signed written statement with your:
• full name
• old address
• new address
• Social Security number, ITIN, or EIN

Use a Form:
Use Form 8822, Change of Address or Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party - Business

Use your new address when you file your tax return

If you filed a joint return and are still residing with the same spouse, both you and your spouse should provide your names, social security numbers, new address and signatures on the form or statement.

If you filed a joint return and you now have separate addresses, each of you should notify us of your new, separate addresses.

Changes of address through the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) may update your address of record on file with us based on what they retain in their National Change of Address (NCOA) database. However, even when you notify the USPS, not all post offices forward government checks, so you should still notify the IRS.

Yes, but an actual copy of your Form W-2 is only available if you submitted it with a paper tax return

You can now submit the Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return electronically using available tax software products. Only tax year 2019 and 2020 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR returns that were originally e-filed can be amended electronically. You still have the option to submit a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and submitting the paper form.

Contact an IRS customer service representative to correct any agency errors by calling 800-829-1040. Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted. Unfortunately, this may result in you receiving a paper check.

To claim your child as your dependent, your child must meet either the qualifying child test or the qualifying relative test:

• To meet the qualifying child test, your child must be younger than you and either younger than 19 years old or be a "student" younger than 24 years old as of the end of the calendar year.
• There's no age limit if your child is "permanently and totally disabled" or meets the qualifying relative test.

In addition to meeting the qualifying child or qualifying relative test, you can claim that person as a dependent only if these three tests are met:

1. Dependent taxpayer test
2. Citizen or resident test, and
3. Joint return test

Next 6 questions è