Injured Spouse Claims

Have your taxes been withheld to pay a debt you do not owe, such as a defaulted student loan or a child support debt? If you filed a joint return and you had your own income and tax payments on the tax return (tax withholdings, earned income tax credit or additional child tax credit), you may have some relief. The spouse who did not owe the debt may request her portion of the tax refund.

The Clinic can help you file the Injured Spouse Claim and can represent you if the IRS has denied the claim.